On this page

Security and emergency

The emergency telephone number in Australia is 000 -- it is NOT the American number. We do things differently here.

The ANU Security and Emergency Telephone number is 612 5 2249. PUT IT IN YOUR PHONE NOW. WE MEAN IT. DO IT NOW.

ANU Security provides extensive security services for students, including after-hours security escorts and the On-campus, on-demand night bus.


Reception desks

There are two reception desks at Crawford. The Main Reception desk is located on Level 2 of the JG Crawford Building (Bldg 132), next to Room 2.73 and close to the Ivy Cafe, which is in Old Canberra House (Bldg 73). There is a second reception desk, the Student Services Office desk, located in Room 1.45 on Level 1 of the Crawford Building, near the Weston Theatre, but this desk chiefly caters to coursework students. You are beyond that now.


Bicycle parking. Riding to Crawford is by far the best transport option for most students. There are approximately 80 spaces for parking bicycles around the Crawford School, but you should bring a bike lock if you want to park your bike in one of these spaces. Bikes do get stolen at ANU. There is also a swipe-card accessible, locked bike cage behind the Gardener's Cottage. To use the bike cage, email cap.facilities@anu.edu.au requesting permission, and your student card will be activated to allow access. Don't forget to provide your student number.

Car parking. Car parking at ANU isn't brilliant. Our advice is that you either ride a bike, catch a bus, or get a lift -- all are less frustrating, cheaper, and better for the environment than is driving. What's more, you reduce the risk of being in a car crash. Nevertheless, ANU has various kinds of motor vehicle parking space available:
  • Surface parking. Allows permit-holding, full-time students to park in designated areas on the ANU surface. Expensive, plus spaces fill up quickly (well before 9 am) during semester.
  • Parking stations. Multi-storey parking for permit-holding, full-time students. Expensive.
  • Resident parking. For permit-holding residents of student accommodation. First-come, first-served.
  • Casual parking. Pay-as-you-go ('Cell-o-Park') parking, free parking for specified time periods (e.g., 30 minutes, 2 hours, 3 hours, etc. -- this parking is limited and difficult to find), and 'pay and display' voucher parking. Expensive. Not a viable option for daily commuting.
  • Motorcycle parking. Free in designated areas, but you need to pay if you use a car space.
  • Disability parking. Available for permit holders. If you do not have a permit, do not park in disability parking spaces. If you do, we will call Security and they will come and fine you. Don't think we are kidding: the Chief Warden does this regularly. It is not cool if you take up a disability park when you have two arms, two legs, and a heartbeat and are perfectly capable of unimpaired ambulation. Disability parking enables disabled and mobility-impaired people to safely exit and enter their vehicles, so this is as much about safety as it is about being closer to a facility.

If you park in a no-parking area you risk being fined. For all ANU parking options, visit the ANU's Transport and Parking page.

PhD Common Room

The PhD Common Room is located on Level 2 of the Stanner Building and has kitchen facilities, including a coffee machine, toaster, microwaves, refrigerators, and a lovely view of Black Mountain. Feel free to use the facilities when you need to get away from your desk, but please do not use the Common Room to hold tutorials or student consultations.

We're pretty proud of our Common Room because people keep it clean, which can't be said for many similar facilities around campus. Common Room etiquette is nothing spectacular, so please follow it:
  • Help keep the room clean. Wipe over any spills you (or others) make and clean any food- or beverage-making equipment after use. Thanks.
  • Do not leave dirty dishes in the sink. They will be binned if left unwashed. Really. They will be put in the bin.
  • Take your dishes with you or put them away. Dishes left on the counter will also be put in the bin.
  • Leave others' food alone. They paid for it and brought it in, so clearly they want to enjoy it themselves.
  • Date any food that you put in the fridge. Food (and the container it is in) will be thrown out if it 1) is past its use-by or best before date, 2) has been in the fridge ten days or longer, 3) is not named and dated. Again, if you think we're joking, try us, and then you can scrabble around in the bin trying to find your undated lunch.
  • Dump any fridge food that is off. Everyone has permission do this (the food doesn't have to be yours) for health and safety reasons. Perishables stored in the fridges should be eaten within a week. Any food that has gone off can be thrown out by anyone as it represents an occupational health and safety hazard. If you find any food that has gone off, please throw it out.
  • Save water. Don't leave the taps running, and if you need to wash up, please plug the sink. Water conservation is vital in Australia because of our climate and geography, and is not just a quaint cultural quirk.
  • Save energy. Only switch on the Common Room lights when necessary. The room receives lots of natural light, so enjoy it.
  • Recycle properly. There is a bin for garbage and a bin for recycling in the Common Room kitchen. Please recycle where possible.

Getting IT help

Please do not email individual IT people if you need IT help. Instead, you must log a job with the ANU's IT Service Desk. You can also call the IT Service Desk on 6125 4321.

Spam emails and 'phishing'

You might receive spam emails, some highly sophisticated, targeting ANU email accounts. In many cases these spam emails are generated from compromised accounts, so they may look like legitimate emails. An increasing number of staff and students have been tricked into providing their credentials (username and password) to malicious entities on external links, resulting in their email accounts becoming compromised. These accounts are then often used to send further phishing emails both inside and outside ANU.

Please be careful and check emails before responding, clicking on the links, or opening attachments. The ANU Cyber and Digital Security Team has published information about phishing emails detailing the steps you can take to identify a malicious email. See the ANU's Cyber Security notifications.

ANU IT will never:
  1. Ask you to link your accounts to third party services
  2. Require that you 'validate' your credentials through links in emails
  3. Send notification to 'Terminate your account'
  4. Block your email account if you did not login on a particular site
  5. Send you a 'Mailbox is full' email and suggest that your email will be blocked if you do not take some action

Some things that ANU ITwill always do:
  1. Address you or your group by name
  2. In the Signature block we will always provide a name and number of the person sending the email
  3. Send emails in ANU User notification format providing
    • Date, time and system affected
    • Reason for the notification
    • Incident or change numbers that can be referenced in ANU systems
    • Precise description of tasks being performed
    • A contact point for the incident/change and a phone number in case you have questions
    • Links that will take you to ANU systems or ANU sites unlike the links in malicious emails
    • Give you enough warning through newsletters and email updates for any new changes coming into effect at ANU.

Staff or students who are unsure about the legitimacy of an email should always contact the ANU Service Desk at (02) 612 54321 (from outside of the ANU) or on extension 54321 (from within the ANU) before opening or responding to a suspicious email.

Reporting IT security incidents

If you come across any IT security breaches or incidents, you must report them by emailing it.security@anu.edu.au
or calling 02 6125 6333. You can also forward any suspect e-mail to it.security@anu.edu.au and they will investigate the matter. Should such an email prove false, IT Security will create a filter for the whole ANU and so no one else will get that style of message. Security incidents include:
  • Unauthorised access attempts (hacking)
  • Phishing
  • Theft, or loss of critical data or IT equipment
  • Disclosure of passwords or other authentication credentials
  • Unmanaged virus or malware infections
  • Work practices that may breach ANU security policies
  • Suspicious activities or behaviour

What to include in reports
Please supply as much information as possible about the incident. This might include:
  • Times and dates of events
  • IP addresses or hostnames of computers
  • Usernames or identification of people
  • Operating system or software versions
  • Any error messages or behaviour displayed
  • Contact details where we can reach you for follow-up
  • Please DO NOT include passwords, PINs or other private information.

See Reporting an IT security incident for more information.

Making a software request

If you need a particular software program to complete your thesis (e.g., STATA, Eviews, Scientific Workplace), please do the following. (Getting NVivo installed has a slightly different process, so please see below. The process for installing ArcGIS is also a bit different; again, see below. Also see How to download and install Microsoft Office 365 via the Online Portal if you want to install Office.) Please see the Crawford HDR student funding guidelines for information on how to make a request for software funding (which is different from making a request for software). Any software funded by ANU can only be installed on ANU computers.

1. Get a price for the software. Make an enquiry about the price for the software via the ANU's software purchasing page. Please note that only software that has a 'yes' in the Secondary Use Rights column can be installed on your personal computer. If it’s listed, go to step 2. If it’s not listed, you will need to request a quote by logging on to the IT Service Desk and creating a ‘new call’. You will need to provide the following information:
  • Computer operating system type (e.g., Windows, Mac, Linux)
  • Computer operating system version
  • Computer serial number (we've checked this, and yes, you do need to include it at this stage of the process)
CAP IT will forward your request to the ITS Purchasing team, who will respond by giving you a price.

2. Get your supervisor's ensorsement. When you have a price for the software, you then send an email to your supervisor requesting endorsement for installation of the software (you might need to write a short justification for the request). Don't forget to include the price of the software in your request!

3. Arrange funding for the software. If you need software outside of what is freely available then Crawford will consider providing up to $2,500 per student, as per the guidelines on Crawford HDR student funding. If you apply for this funding and it is approved, you should then send an email, attention Crawford HDR Administrator (cap.hdr@anu.edu.au), requesting a 'charge code' for the software.

4. Get the licence. Once approved, the HDR Administrator will provide you with a charge code. You should then log on to the IT Service Desk and open a 'new call' (or open the call -- or request or incident -- you may have already made at step 1). Make sure that the 'service provider' field is set to 'CAP IT'. The call should include your
  • Student name
  • U-number
  • Computer operating system type (e.g., Windows, Mac, Linux)
  • Computer operating system version
  • Charge code
  • Email approval. How to do this is a bit unclear, but we suggest that you copy and paste into a Word document any and all relevant emails from the above 3 steps and then attach them to your 'call'.
CAP IT will then forward your request to the ITS Purchasing team, who will obtain the licence for you.

5. Get the software installed. Once that's done, a CAP IT team member will install the software for you.

Please note that, due to licensing considerations, most ANU-funded software cannot be installed on your personal laptop or private computer. To download Endnote, visit the ANU Library's Endnote page.

The ANU has a site licence for Nvivo which allows staff and students to have NVivo installed on their work machine, and/or personal device; however, the two can never be used at the same time, apparently, as the licence keys for this site licence are specifically for the site licence version of Nvivo and are not compatible with individual retail versions (we are not sure how this works, exactly, but that is the best info we have). NVivo is centrally funded by the ANU, so it is an exception to the rule and has no cost to Crawford, meaning that you do not need to get a price or charge code for the software. Here's what to do:
  1. Log on to the IT Service Desk and open a New Call. The call should include your
    • Student name
    • U-number
    • Computer operating system type (e.g., Windows, Mac, Linux)
    • Computer operating system version
    CAP IT will then forward your request to the ITS Purchasing Team, who will obtain the licence for you.
  2. Arrange installation. The ITS Purchasing Team will email you confirming that the software is available and will get the relevant college IT people to contact you to arrange installation.

This all seems too easy, somehow ...

The ANU has renegotiated 3 years (starting 2017) of ‘free’ ArcGIS licencing from ESRI and ANU staff and HDR students are eligible to request that the software ArcGIS desktop be installed on any ANU-owned Windows machine (desktop or laptop). To request the installation of ArcGIS desktop, contact CAP IT via the IT Service Desk.

ArcGIS Online is a cloud-based mapping platform which is now also available. One very useful feature of ArcGIS Online -- which will be of interest to those wanting to tell the story of their research, online or in presentations, or as a teaching aid -- is story maps. View the gallery of examples to see how you can engage an audience with images, maps and text.

Access to ArcGIS Online is by request to the licencing managers via the ANU Service desk . Logon with your uni ID and password, click Request Services > None of the above. Under the short description, type 'Require ArcGIS Online. Please direct to FES IT' > Submit.


The ANU has a site licence for EndNote, meaning you can install it on your home computer. That's triff, but EndNote also has bit of a reputation for deleting all your references in the week before submission, so we suggest you also check out other reference managers such as Zotero and Mendeley. See the file below for information about recoving and re-synching your EndNote library if and when everything disappears in the dead of night for no apparent reason. Thanks to Kaely Woods and Jo Spratt who put together this info -- sorry you found out the hard way.

USB recovery

It’s every PhD student’s worst nightmare and it has happened -- so back up your work and your data. If, however, you find yourself in a situation where your USB has crashed between your regualar backup times (ho ho ho), then there are still some glimmers of hope. ANU IT doesn’t have the software to recover files from a corrupted USB, but there are commercial operators who do — ask someone at a computer shop for pointers. There is also some software available for purchase or free over the internet that can help, such as EaseUS.

But remember: Google is your frie3nd, so check out reviews and weigh up the options. The results will not be perfect -- you might be able to recover some relatively small files, but larger files are likely to have been damaged beyond repair.

Photocopiers and printers

You are provided access to the photocopiers and printers on Levels 1 and 2 at the lake-end of the Stanner Building. Again, recalling the Crawford PhD ethic of mutual responsibility, there are some basic courtesies we ask you to observe around the use of these facilities:
  • Check the paper tray after each copy or print job and re-fill it if necessary.
  • Order paper and toner if either or both are low. Email crawford@anu.edu.au.
  • Clear your paper jams. Don't just walk away -- it only makes you feel guilty, and rightly so. If you can't clear a jam, ask someone else to help. If, despite your best efforts, the machine still isn't working, then contact crawford@anu.edu.au and let them know there's a problem. It's real easy.

People get really frustrated when copiers and printers don't work, but they mostly don't work because no-one really cares to do much of the above. Let's aim to be the first workplace in Australia where we solve our own print and copy problems by not walking away from them. What a goal.

Building heating and airconditioning

The WEH Stanner Building (Bldg 37) sometimes experiences air conditioning problems (usually too cold). If you find this to be the case, please contact cap.facilities@anu.edu.au so they can address the problem. Please do not bring in your own heater. Personal heaters are not permitted in Stanner for the following reasons. Please take the time to read and understand them.
  1. Several rooms at once are linked together on one airconditioning unit and thermostat. This means that if you bring in a heater, then your room will heat up and the thermostat will read the room as being too hot. The system will then blow cold air to all the rooms on the same unit. While your toes might be warm, everyone else in a room with airconditioning linked to yours will have cold air blown at them (and so will you, incidentally).
  2. If you use a heater that you bring in from home and it causes a hazard, fire, or similar, then you could be liable for a fine; if your heater is inspected and determined at fault by COMCARE, the penalty is around $18,000 for the regulations violating body corporate (i.e., the Crawford School) and around $3,600 for an individual.

After-hours heating can be found in the After-Hours Air Conditioning Panel located on Level 1, Stanner, in the corridor to the left of Seminar Room 1, in the wall opposite the staff kitchen. Please do not remove the key to the panel and please do not leave the panel door open.

ANU Green, recycling, and energy conservation

ANU Green promotes sustainable environmental practices on campus. Please help us build a more sustainable future by not wasting water and energy.

Water conservation
If you haven't heard, Australia is a very dry place. The Australian Capital Territory is under permanent water conservation restrictions. If you are found to be in breach of these restrictions, you could be fined. Please help us save this precious resource:
  • Turn taps off fully. Don't over-tighten them, though, or you will damage the washers, causing even more leaks.
  • Don't leave taps running while you do the dishes or brush your teeth or similar. Aussies will not be amused if they see you doing this kind of thing.
  • Report drips and leaks, including leaking taps and showers or toilets and urinals that continually flush, to cap.facilities@anu.edu.au
  • Take shorter showers -- 3 - 5 minutes will do!
  • Do not defrost food under running water. Not does it waste shedloads of water, it's unhygienic and compromises food safety.
  • Use a plug. Don't wash your dishes under running water. Wait until you have enough dishes to wash, then plug the sink and get to it. Again, you will become an object of derision if an Australian sees you not using a plug in your sink.

Energy and climate
Dirty forms of energy still provide most of our power. Sad smiley. Help us reduce energy usage:
  • Switch off lights. Photocopiers and toilets do not need to see their way through the dark.
  • Switch off your computer monitor. So simple, yet the number of monitors that are left on whenever someone is out of the office is unbelievable.
  • Switch off your computer at the end of the day. It doesn't need to be left on overnight: it's not there to keep the walls company. Unless, of course, you are doing a whole lot of data crunching or accessing a VPN from elesewhere or whatever and the machine needs to be on; the point is to make a judgement about whether or not your computer should stay on -- don't just leave it on without deciding whether or not it's necessary.
  • Enable energy saving settings on your computer. If you don't know how, either google it or ask someone.
  • Put on a jumper. Or singlet, or thermal layer. Scandinavians know all about layering, so ask a Scando how to do it. And use a lap rug. Also, refer to earlier sections on Building heating and Electrical safety, as you are not permitted to bring in heaters to the office.

Like other places in Australia, Canberra has excellent recycling programs in place. The Crawford School has recycling bins scattered around the complex, and there is a recycling bin in the Common Room. Be sure to separate your waste (i.e., do not put food and other garbage in any recycling bin). One of the most headshakingly inexplicable things we see at Crawford PhD is when people put paper in a garbage bin next to a copier -- when there is a massive, blue, paper recycling bin in even closer proximity. You can recycle paper, aluminium cans, plastics, drink cartons, glass, toner cartridges, small electronic devices, and heaps more.

Room bookings

To make a room booking, follow the following procedure:
  1. Check room availability at the timetabling website. Go to Room Information > [Year] Room Information/Availability > [Year] Location Timetables ("Room Availability") > Locations > Select Location(s) > Select period(s) Do not select College/School -- if you do, no locations will be available! Yeah, I know!
  2. Once you have found an available venue, contact cap.facilities@anu.edu.au with a subject line beginning, 'ROOM BOOKING:' and ask to book that room. You should state the purpose for which you want to make the booking. Cc the PhD Academic and Research Skills Advisor, just so that CAP Facilities knows that the request has been noted by PhD staff.
  3. If it's all too hard, just contact cap.facilities@anu.edu.au and tell them the type of room you are after; but it's a courtesy to have some kind of idea of what's available to start with. Besides, it can save both you and CAP Facilities lots of back-and-forth (and potential frustration) if you have checked room availability yourself beforehand.

To book the Murdoch Room, make a request via Outlook by sending a meeting request to 'Building 73, Old Canberra House, Rm 2.112, Murdoch Board Room'. The system will prompt you if the room is not available, and will suggest an alternative time.

Academic and research skills

The Crawford School has a strong tradition of integrated academic skills delivery. Many of our students are mid-career, and while they may not have studied formally for some time, they bring many skills and experiences with them. Participation in Academic and Research Skills will help you to make a successful transition to the demands of academic study and will also enhance professional skills.

For PhD students, academic and research skills training is available in the form of workshops and intensive courses offered throughout the year for students at all stages of their degrees. Whether you're just starting out, right in the middle of things, or ready to submit, hopefully there will be something for you. Workshop topics include Finishing and submitting, Grants and awards, The literature review, Research proposals, Writing your thesis introduction, conclusion, and abstract, Thesis writing, Grammar essentials, and much more.

You can also consult the PhD Academic and Research Skills Advisor for an individual consultation to discuss the development of research proposals, thesis writing, field reports, seminar presentations, and to arrange copyediting of the final thesis (if deemed necessary), as well as general academic progress issues. The PhD Academic and Research Skills Advisor can help you with things such as thesis writing, journal article writing and publication, research project management, reading strategically, structuring text, compiling literature reviews, time management, oral presentations, thesis completion, supervision, and more. To organise a consultation time, contact the PhD Academic and Research Skills Advisor.

You can also view our online academic & research skills resources.

Crawford PhD thesis collection

One of the smartest things you can do for your PhD is to check out other people's theses, and at Crawford we have a whole cabinet full of them just for your edification and delight. The thesis collection is housed in the PhD Common Room in what we are pleased to call the 'Thesis Pantry' and can be accessed by contacting the PhD Academic and Research Skills Advisor, who will give you the key and take your photo so we can keep a track of who has borrowed what, so make sure you brush your hair and do your makeup before you ask to borrow a thesis. You should look over past theses several times during your candidature, just to get a sense of, amongst other things,
  • The types of problems others have tackled and how they've tackled them
  • How a thesis in your area is organised
  • The level of detail necessary for the various chapters and sections
  • Typical length
  • How a thesis is formatted and presented

Don't confine yourself to looking at theses only on your topic because you are not looking for information or argument, really, but more for what a thesis actually is.

You can also search the ANU Digital Thesis Collection for non-Crawford (as well as Crawford) theses.

The Stretchy Gym

Many of us are well on the path to crook backs, necks, and shoulders caused by repetitious desk work, so at Crawford PhD we encourage a 'culture of stretch' that gets people up from their desks, away from their computers, and out of their offices. So, working on the principle that individual effort is generally not as effective and motivating as group effort, we have a Stretchy Gym that emboldens people to stretch in public. It's a pretty daring concept, but we're like that at Crawford PhD.

The Stretchy Gym is a cordoned-off part of the PhD Common Room in the Stanner Building comprising yoga mats, body balls, foam rollers, and resistance tubing. There is only one rule: You must remove your shoes before using the gym. But once you've done that, you can go nuts. Importantly, we don't have weights: firstly, we see it as too much of a risk management thing, but more significantly, the Stretchy Gym is not about exercise, it's not about building muscle, and it's not even about flexibility, really (although flexibility can a good thing). Instead, it's about stretch.

We encourage you to find 'stretchy buddies', because it's true that you can feel like bit of a dork when you're standing around in your socks pulling on a giant rubber band. But if you have a partner to stretch with, then you are more likely to use the Stretchy Gym. Feel free also to post a notice in our ANU Crawford PhD Facebook group along the lines of, 'Me and Pat are going to stretch at 3 pm -- feel free to join us'.

The Stretchy Gym has been designed to model and to 'normalise' stretching as a legitimate, important, and above all, necessary workplace health and safety practice. If you want a tour of the Stretchy Gym or want some tips on how to use the equipment, just ask around. You can see some pictures of the Stretchy Gym on the Crawford School Facebook page and you can read more about the Stretchy Gym on the Crawford website.

Equipment library

Crawford PhD operates a small equipment exchange where you can borrow items for an agreed period of time. Certain items (such as digital voice reorders or cameras) can only be borrowed with the outlay of a 'deposit'. In these instances, the 'deposit' is taken against any Crawford HDR student funding you are applying for; the deposit is returned to you upon the safe return of the borrowed items. Items in the exchange include things such as:
  • Transcription pedal (software required)
  • Ergonomic equipment, such as keyboards and 'mice'
  • Digital cameras (deposit required)
  • Digital voice recorder (deposit required)

To borrow from -- or to donate items to -- the exchange, contact the PhD Academic and Research Skills Advisor.

Stationery exchange

A stationery exchange is located in the Level 1 Resource Room of the Stanner Building. Check there for binders, notepads, pens, folders, files, and other items. Please donate any unused or unwanted stationery to the stationery exchange; just don't dump any junk there -- the items should be useful, clean, and viable. That said, sometimes you can unearth some quite ancient and interesting relics in there, such as micro-tape recorders and typewriter ribbons. You could probably sell this stuff on eBay and make a fortune. To order specific stationery items, contact the main reception desk.

Book exchange

There is a small book exchange located in the Common Room. Feel free to take and keep anything that is of interest to you. If you want to leave anything, make sure it is likely to be either useful or wanted by others -- don't just dump out-of-date government reports there: recycle them instead.

Prayer rooms and chaplaincy

A multi-faith prayer room is located in the Gardener’s Cottage in Block B at Old Canberra House. There is an ANU Muslim Association Prayer Room located at H Block, Old Administration Area (3H). A pin number is required to enter, so please contact MSA-ANU (Muslim Students' Association -- ANU).

The ANU Chaplaincy team and support currently includes the Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Jewish, Baha'i, and Buddhist faith traditions. The Chaplaincy welcomes all people, all cultures and lifestyles, all faiths or no faith, with no discrimination in respect of racial and/or ethnic background.

Parents' room

The parents' room is located on the ground floor in Building 26C (the CBE building) in room 1.01 B, just near the elevator. This room requires staff and students to use their swipe card for access. This room is equipped with a sink, baby changing table, microwave, a comfy chair and some play equipment for young children. Telephone number: x57357. Please leave the room clean and tidy before you depart.

Lost and found

If you find an item in the Crawford School teaching areas, please hand it in at the Crawford Student Services Office located in Room 1.45 on Level 1 of the Crawford Building, near the Weston Theatre. If you have lost an item, please check at the Student Services Office desk: it may be waiting to be claimed.

For property lost or found in other areas of the ANU please see the ANU Security Lost and Found webpage.

Shops and cafes

Tennis court

To use the Old Canberra House tennis court, please book by emailing cap.facilities@anu.edu.au.

Shower facilities

Shower facilities are available throughout the Crawford complex.

Washing facilities

Washing facilities are located in the Gardener’s Cottage in Block B at Old Canberra House.